This is just to give you an idea of some of the questions one of our copywriters may ask you – don’t worry they’re unlikely to ask them all!
General Business Info
- Does your company have a strapline? (or any nicknames – internally and externally!)
- In your own words… what does the business do?
- How did it get started?
- How would you describe your company’s brand to someone in five words or fewer? – corporate, professional, intense, casual. fun, creative, etc?
- Which brands/companies do you see yourselves like?
- In an ideal world, which brand would you aspire to be like – eg apple, Aston Martin, Audi, British Airways, Dyson, innocent etc?
- Who do you see as your main competitors?
- Who are your target audience? Who are you looking to engage and influence?
- What is your unique selling point (USP) or point of difference (POD)?
- What are your clients’ pain points? – i.e. what keeps them awake at 2am?
- What do you do to solve those frustrations? – what’s the real value you offer?
- What makes them decide to buy? What obstacles prevent them from buying?
- What are the alternatives to your product or service? Why would someone choose those instead of you?
- How would you describe your tone and voice? – formal, traditional, conversational, humorous, modern, colloquial, concise, fun?
- Have you won any awards? Do you hold Chartered status or any other qualifications? Which industry bodies do you belong to?
Project specific copy
- What is the aim of this particular project ?
- What do you want this piece of copy to achieve?
- What do you want people to do as a result of reading it?
- In light of the target audience you’ve identified, where do you imagine they live, what do they watch on TV, what do they drive, where do they go on holiday?
- What are the key messages we need to communicate?
- What qualities do your client testimonials tend to highlight?
- What are the benefits of this particular product or service? – eg it makes life easier because…
- Must Haves: Is there anything you specifically want on the page?
- Must Not Haves: Is there anything you really don’t want mentioned?
- When are you hoping to have the project completed by?
- Is there a word count limit or any design preferences we need to be aware of?
- Are there any keywords we need to include?
- Is there any existing marketing material you can give us to make sure the new copy fits?
- If it’s a website project, which links of previous websites we’ve done do you like?